December 26, 2010

if this is not enchantment


Happy Boxing Day (Don't feel badly if you're not quite sure exactly what that is - turns out no one else knows, either.)

So another Christmas has come and gone, replete with food, family, and gifts galore, both given and received.

We even got a son-in-law-to-be for Christmas, when he put a ring on our sweet girl's finger:


Even though it's officially over, I'm still loving the house all decorated and cozy. I'll begin slowly packing it away in a day or so, and finally take the tree down next week sometime. Some things aren't just for "Christmas," though, they're "Winter," and will stay around for weeks to come. And the things I meant to make for the season, but didn't? It's not too late...

Take, for example, DIY snow globes. I've been meaning to try my hand at these for years, but have never gotten around to it. I love snow globes, a tiny world in a jar, and playing god with one good hard shake. I don't actually own any "snow" globes, although I do have a Halloween black cat in a watery globe, with tiny black bats swirling all around. I may still make my own Winter Wonderland globe this season, though. There's still plenty of time.

Look at these DIY examples, gathered from the far-flung corners of the www:


I like the idea that they don't have to be winter-themed:


I love the idea that they don't have to be in liquid at all:

mouse over images for source

In fact, that's what I ended up doing yesterday, when I was in the mood for a bit of Christmas craftiness but much too lazy to put real effort in. Hello, dear:



 How was your Christmas?


The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event.  
You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different,
 and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?  
~J.B. Priestley


 
http://confessionsofasineater.blogspot.com/
Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

boops said...

my xmas was quiet-just me and my dog, what more can I ask for?

however i do love your diy globe idea (i'm digging the mini storm troopers). it's a nice way to used recycled materials and adds a little bit of seasonal interest. xo

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin